The San Diego Mesa men's and women's track and field team continues to post impressive times competing against top four-year programs in the nation at the Aztec Invitational. The Olympians competed against BYU, SDSU, Oregon, Kansas State, UCLA, U. Of Arizona, Utah, and UC Santa Barbara to name a few.
"We had a nice meet this week and we are showing growth in the areas that we have been focusing on," states head coach Sean Ricketts. "Not having to travel this week, and only having to travel ten-minutes definitely helped with our results. Sometimes people tend to forget the toll it takes when you have to travel numerous hours to get to a meet."
"It's always great to see our athletes execute what we plan for them," adds Ricketts. "The focus moving forward is to continue our training and keep adding into our race plans. Our goals remain the same, and that's to be at the top at the end of the season."
The coaching staff will select a group of athletes to travel to UCLA to compete at the Bob Larsen Distance Carnival on Friday, followed by the Jim Bush Legends Invite on Saturday.
- Jasmine Perez - 8th in the B Group of the Heptathlon 3359 Points (2:24 PR in the 800) #4 SoCal
- Tori Palacki - 6th in the A Group of the Heptathlon 2906 Points #6 SoCal, #10 All Time
- Carlie Nosler - 25.98 PR in the 200m
- Jeremy Clay - 14.85 110 Hurdles (1st Race of the season) #5 SoCal, #8 All-Time - Knocked 400m H Olympic Gold Medalist Alum Felix Sanchez off the All-Time List
- Aaron Mickelsen - 10th in the Decathlon 5199 Points #5 SoCal, #4 All Time
- Charles Price - 49.74 400m #10 SoCal
- Isaiah Labra - 3:56.20 #1 SoCal (1st Place in Heat 2 of the Invite 1500m)
- Stefen Rasmuson - 8:36.62 6th Place 3000m Invite #3 SoCal
- Nico Fitzgerald - 14'4" 8th Place Pole Vault #6 SoCal
- Andrew Mitchell - 46.97m (154'1") Javelin #9 SoCal, 41.54m (136'3") Discus #8 SoCal